Today I wanted to share something that has become a “hair saver” (for me). My Hard Protein/Moisture Balancing Treatment.
This recipe has become part of my routine however, it is not something I do every week or even every month because as the name suggests it is a HARD protein treatment. Before I delve into the details of what I use, how I mix, how I apply etc. it is important to point out a few things.
- This is an extremely hard protein treatment that should only be done once every 2 – 3 months (some might only want to do this 2 times a year).
- I have been told that this feels/acts like the 2 step ApHogee Protein Treatment therefore if you have tired that before, keep in mind how often you have used it/how you hair felt afterwards. Do not do both this and ApHogee treatments since they work similarly and you might end up with protein overload!
- It is vital to do a Moisturizing Deep Condition (DC) after. VITAL! Your hair will feel hard, brittle and almost straw-like (this is normal) however, it should not feel like that after you have done the Moisturizing DC. Without the moisturizing DC you will not have a protein/moisture balance and that will just result in breakage (not good)!
- If your hair does still feel hard after your Moisturizing DC, do another DC again!
- Ensure you have fully and properly detangled your hair before you apply the protein mix. Protein makes the hair hard (and this one does so extremely well) and if you haven’t detangled your hair beforehand you will only end up breaking hair in the spots where you have knots as you try to distribute the mix.
- Work with freshly washed, clean and damp hair to remove any product buildup which will allow the protein to latch on and penetrate the hair strands (this is when you would detangled your hair).
- Once the mix is on your hair DO NOT TOUCH YOUR HAIR!
- Leave the mix on for no more than 15 minutes!
- Some people like to use a drier/hooded drier after applying the protein to help dry the hair however, since I do not use any form on heat I do not suggest this step in my demonstration. (If you do decide to use heat, please ensure it is not set to high because you can cause damage).
- Once the time is up use your shower head/faucet (warm water) to rinse your hair going in a downwards motion. After you let water run over your hair slowly use your finger tips to help ensure all of the protein has been rinsed out (gently). You can use conditioner after you rinse to make sure the protein is out.
- ALWAYS DO A MOISTURIZING DC!!!!! (Sorry but I have to stress this part).
- 7 oz Hot Water (I used bottled water)
- 0.24 oz Gelatine
- 0.5 oz Pure Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- Applicator bottle
- Bowl/container (to mix)
- Essential Oil (optional if you can’t stand the smell of ACV but the ACV smell will go away anyways after you rinse and DC your hair).
Sprinkle the gelatine over the water (while it is still hot) and stir to dissolve the gelatine. Add the ACV, stir again and pour into your applicator bottle. Allow the mix to completely cool down (if you plan to add EO add it after the mix has cooled down).
While you are letting the mix cool wash and detangle your hair so it is free from products, this will allow the protein to attach and absorb into the hair strands easier. Section your hair into parts to make it easier to work with and pour the mix from root to tip, paying particualr attention to the ends since this is where breakge occurs most frequently. Distribute the mix by finger combing/wide tooth comb but be VERY CAREFUL since the protein will make your hair feel hard and can cause breakage if you are rough. (This is why it is important to make sure you have fully detangled your hair prior to application)! After you are done with one section LEAVE THAT PART ALONE, do not touch it anymore and move onto the next. Once you are done allow the mix to sit for no more than 15 minutes. Typically people like to use a drier/hooded drier while waiting for the 15 minutes however, I do not use heat and therefore do not take this step. If you do, please make sure that you do not bake your hair, you will see damage if you do!
After the 15 minutes using your shower head/facet let warm water run over your hair going in a downwards motion (do not use your fingers to manipulate) unitl you feel your have rinsed out the protein. Once you have rinsed with water alone then you can gently use your fingers to run over your hair to make sure it is protein free, you can use a little conditioner to help ensure all the protein is out. Follow up with a Moisturizing DC for no less than 1.5 hours and proceed with your styling. If you feel your hair still feels rough, dry, brittle you need to do another moisturizing DC to restore the protein/moisture balance!
This is my demonstration video:
If you try this mix I would love to hear what you think and if you have used ApHogee before I would love to hear if you think these two work similarly or not.