Curly hair is fragile and can feel dry which can lead to frizz (due to a lack of moisture) so it needs protection to lock in moisture. Leave-In conditioners can help protect and provide moisture
I of course have had my hand in a number of Leave-In’s over my Trial and Error phases. In order to “create” one that I like I went through the ingredients that were frequently used in the store bought products my hair tends to like and combined them to “create” my own Leave-In. I wanted to work off a “Base and Liquid” and then add in the other ingredients my hair likes so for my (Creamy) Leave-In my “base” is my detangling/co-wash conditioner and “liquid” is and water. My conditioner contains ingredients with 98% natural origin and is not too thick or thin so it does not “harm” my hair nor weigh it down. I like using this every 2 – 3 days and will usually alternate between the Spray and Creamy Leave-In.
IMPORTANT! If you have allergies to any of the ingredients I use DO NOT use them! I am not a Doctor, Physician nor a Cosmetologist. I am just providing information for educational purposes and any use thereof is solely at your own risk. The information contained herein is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment in any manner. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding any medical condition. Once you have done that, do patch tests before you put anything all over your head. Please consider this as my advice. You are responsible if you choose to follow some of my methods.
- 1/2 cup Bottled Water
- 1/4 cup Pure Aloe Vera Juice (AVJ) – I add Vitamin E directly to the AVJ. Depending on how much AVJ I can get from my plants I roughly use about 2 – 3 capsules per cup of AVJ.
- 3/4 cup Conditioner
- 2 teaspoon Almond/Grape Seed Oil
- A few drops of Peppermint Essential Oil (around 5- 10)
- 1 teaspoon of Glycerin
- Clean and disinfected Squeeze bottle.
- I first pour the Bottled Water to the container.
- I add 1/4 cup of AVJ (with Vitamin E Oil already mixed in it) to the conditioner and mix thoroughly.
- Add the 3/4 cup of Conditioner
- I then add 2 teaspoon of Grape Seed Oil and 1 teaspoon of Glycerin
- Finally I add a few drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
- I thoroughly mix and then pour the contents into the squeeze bottle.
- Shake the bottle thoroughly to ensure everything is combined.
* Update: I have been pouring the mixture into my blender and give it a little pulse before I put it in my container and this makes the mixture a little creamier.
- I first spritz my hair with my plain water spray bottle to lightly mist my hair.
- I shake the Leave-In bottle before every use to make sure nothing has separated. I pour a little Leave-In into my palm and apply the Leave-In in sections.
- I go from roots to ends paying particular attention to my ends. I then apply my Sealing Oil
What about you? Do you mix your own leave-In and what is your mixture? If not, what is your favorite Store bought Leave-in and why? I would love to hear from you.