Buns in the natural hair “community” seems to be a go to especially when you want to do something quick and this style is no exception. It takes no more than 5 minutes and you are on your way. You can “smooth out” your edges by using a scarf for 10 minutes and then hit the road to get on with your business for a more “polished” look (I used a scarf).
- DIY Whipped Conditioning butter* (I literally whip some of my creamy leave-in conditioner together with a little whipped butter.)
- DIY Spray Leave-In Conditioner
- Ouchless Hair bubble
- Bobby Pins
- Soft bristle brush
- Cowrie Headband (optional)
*You want to make small batches of the whipped conditioning butter because water (a water based leave-in) mixed together with butter & oils can cause bacteria to grow in the container. So only make a little at a time, I also suggest storing the mix in an airtight container in the fridge to keep it “fresh” longer. You might need to experiment with the Leave-In conditioners you use because not all Leave-Ins play nice with butter – experiment time.
- I put a little bit of my whipped conditioning butter on my edges and ends, brush in the butter (on my edges) with my soft bristle brush and make a ponytail.
- I very loosely twist only the ends of my hair, pull the twist above my head and then start to roll the hair downwards (in the direction of my forehead) and bobby pin the bun in place.
- To get smoother edges I tie my scarf for 10 minutes.
- After taking the scarf down I sort out the bun if it gets a little messy and then add the headband around the bun. That is it!
Would love to hear what you think of the bun!