So I always come up with new things that I like to obsess about and my recent obsession are head wraps and using scarves as wraps.
I am not an “expert” but I enjoy playing around with them and creating styles that I like to rock! I always thought “I couldn’t pull off these styles” because in my mind I thought certain faces work best with wraps and that it would be difficult to style however, if I can pull them off so can you!
I am blessed to be surrounded by a ton of fabric shops, literally every district, town, city here has a TON of fabric shops so I either get them by the meter or I will just pick up some scarves from shops e.g. H&M, Mango, Forever 21 and other local shops too.
Why use head wraps/scarves?
I like using them because 1. they are so pretty! all the colours and prints are just gaaawgeous, 2. I always seem to feel proud (I can not explain why) whenever I rock a head wrap/scarf and 3. you can use them as a protective style when you don’t want to do your hair, if you are having a “bad hair day” (whatever that means) or perhaps if you are doing a Deep Condition and have to run out the house (yes I have done that!).
Check the subsection of this page (on the menu) for some of the wraps I have done along with videos. I shall be adding to the compilation as I record more videos.
Tips: There are a few things you might want to consider.
- I like to use my night time scarf which is either made of silk/satin to cover my hair first before I use the other fabrics. This way my hair won’t lose any moisture from the cotton or other fabric the colourful scarf/warp is made of.
- Try not to tie the scarf/wrap too tightly around your hairline since it can cause breakage!
- If you are going for a protective/low manipulation style then it is best to try keep your hair covered underneath the scarf/wrap. (However, there are some styles where you might want to let your curls peek out 😉 )
- If you are using two or more wraps for a certain style, try to use fabrics that are similar in colour and/or pattern so that it blends well together (if that is what you are going for).
- If it your first time, do not get frustrated or demotivated because it might take you a few trials to get the look you want (trust me I had to try several times).