As you (probably) know, I was doing weekly updates of how my hair was feeling, looking and styled over the last few weeks during my Protective Style & Castor Oil challenge. You can find the updates here: Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4, Week 5, Week 6.
I just wanted to share a final summary of how I feel about the challenge as a whole, my results and future plans. I also have a video explaining how it all went on my YouTube Channel:
Castor Oil challenge results:
- Hair remained moisturized throughout the week
- My hair was super smooth, soft & shiny
- I feel like my hair got a little thicker (I NEED every fiber I can get!)
- My scalp was not itchy
Protective style challenge:
- Less tangles
- Less single strand knots
- Less hand in hair syndrome
- Less detangling time needed
Overall I am super happy with the results I got after 6 weeks.
I measured my hair before and after the challenge and while getting length was not my primary goal it was welcomed. I got some growth according to my rubbish measuring skills (I really suck at trying to measure my hair with a tape!)
On average I got 3/4 inches of growth overall, with my crown getting the least amount (1/2 an inch) and the back more growth (1 inch). So I wouldn’t say it was anything “major” but it is still growth nonetheless and I am happy.
Points for the next time:
- I think I will do an 8 week challenge next time.
- Will probably try doing just one style per week (hopefully I will not “get bored”)
- Will use my Castor Oil Blend a little more on my hairline since it is so fragile and can do with a boost in thickness.
- Do more protective styles during my normal routine to keep my ends protected and knots away.
- Continue to use my castor oil blend on my scalp and hairline with a tiny bit on the ends of my hair. (Using it on my hairline every other day maybe everyday if I can get away with it.)
- I will occasionally add some of my castor oil blend to my DIY Deep Conditioners
- Add a little castor oil blend with other others as a pre-poo before cleansing with Shikakai.
If you are doing any sort of challenge for your hair be it a heat-free, colour-free, protective style challenge etc. let me know how it is going, I would love to hear from you!