I like that…Maicurlies!
Anyways…so I am going to be going on a little get away at the end of the month! Just a quick weekend getaway so I figured I would note down a few tips about my method of what I take when I travel (for my hair). I hope that some of my pointers might help make it a little easier when you travel!
There are a few things you might want to keep in mind:
- How far are you going?
- What are you planning on doing?
- Where will you be staying?
- How long will you be staying?
How far you travel – takes into consideration the distance of your trip (will you be driving or flying) because this leads to how much/many products you can take with you – especially if you are flying (e.g. the space of you luggage, luggage weight restrictions etc).
What you plan on doing – addresses things like are you going to be bungee jumping, sky diving, swimming, relaxing etc. All this can factor into what you need to take with you and what you can actually do with your hair.
Where you will be staying – relates to where you will psychically be staying e.g. a hotel, apartment, tent, caravan etc. For example if you are camping then you might not have access to fresh running water like you would if you were staying in a hotel. If you are staying in an apartment you will have access to a fridge which means you can actually store products (if you make your own.)
How long you will be staying – determines how long you will be away and the amount of products you might need to take with you for the duration.
Now for me I am a little be of an organization freak! (No shame in admitting it) but this means that I plan everything and I mean EVERYTHING.
My “go to” method is to:
- Determine if I need to have my hair in a protective style before I leave. For my upcoming trip, I would not need to put my hair in a protective style because it is only for 2 days, I am not planning on doing anything crazy (like jumping out a plane) and I will be staying at a hotel. If this were a camping trip I would most likely have my hair in medium sized twists or up in a bun.
- I put everything I plan on taking with me in little containers. (I have to admit that I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to collecting containers of products I have used up and family have used up.) So for me it is easy to just put little amounts of things I need in travel sized plastic containers.
- I scotch tape the lids of the bottles so they do not leak all over my clothes! There is nothing worse than arriving and opening up your bags only to find out your conditioner has leaked all over your beautiful black dress!
Products I make sure I take:
- Leave-In Conditioner – There is no way I travel without it since this is how I moisturize my hair and I like to moisturize everyday (sometimes two times a day if I am wearing my hair out and about.)
- Conditioner – no matter the duration of my trip I always take this with me because I might need to detangle or co-wash my hair.
- Sealing Oil – Again another product I have to have with me to seal in the moisture.
- I also make sure I have bobby pins, a few scrunchies, and my wide tooth comb just in case I need it.
- Store bought Moisturizing Deep Conditioner – I only take this with me if I know I will be going to the beach or pool more than once. This allows me make sure my hair does not get dry because of the chlorine or sea salt.
And that is it!
What about you? What products are you “must haves” when you travel?